Thursday 30 September 2010

Movie (Audience) Research

On the 30th of September 2010 I had undertaken some research from audiences around school asking what they believe make a good trailer. I had asked them questions such as "Why people choose the films they do, whether trailers make a difference, what attracts people to trailers and what putts them off; and the feedback that I got for the different questions were:

Why do people choose the films they do?

Jenny Brown: the genre attracts the film that I watch, therefore I believe that it is the same with other audiences.

Vidur Bharatram: I believe that people choose the films they watch because of entertainment value, genre and a good night out with friends/families.

Ahmed Mohammed: I think people choose the films that they do because it relaxes them and also allows them to enter their comfort zone, for example a old-aged woman/man would want to watch a horror film.

Gregor Sharp: I think that a lot of people choose the films that they watch not only because of the genre, but also the story line and cast for example majority of audiences would not be sure about a new film which has an unknown cast.

Whether trailers make a difference.

Jenny Brown: I would expect that trailers make a difference as they hype the films up and get audiences into the cinemas.

Vidur Bharatram: The trailers do make a difference as they promote the film by showing them not only in cinemas, but also after TV programs, and as a result this gets audiences exited and attracted to a certain genre.

Ahmed Mohammed: Trailers make a difference as the editing, mise en scene, cinematography and sound get the audiences into the mood of the film.

Gregor Sharp: I think that trailers do have an effect on audiences, as some trailers have an impact on audiences because the trailers are either well edited or easy to understand, however there are also negative effects as some trailers contain to little or to much information which can throw the audiences off balance, as a result this puts people off the film.

What attracts people to trailers.

Jenny Brown: I think that actors/actresses, music and storyline attracts a lot of audiences because the trailers always get their attention.


Vidur Bharatram: I would say that promotion is the key that attracts many audiences because then many people see after TV breaks and so on. The Cast is also an important factor as nearly everyone talks about actors and actresses and discuss if they are good entertainers. So yeah cast is another important factor.

Ahmed Muhammed: I think that many people always talk about cast, genre of the film and storyline, but seem to forget the directors and producers. What makes a good film and trailer overall is the way the directors and producers produce the product for the audience so I would say that directors and producers are important. Also the distribution and production studios are important as they also give an image to the films. 

Gregor Sharp: I would say that genres that have succeeded before will attract customers. Also the cast are a big part of attracting audiences as actors/actresses change the thought of the customers first impression of the film(s), for example if there is an actor/actress that has had success in past films and has a good reputation then more customers will be willing to see the movie, unlike an unknown actors or actresses. 


What puts them off 

Jenny Brown: I would say that I don't like low budget film because sometimes they look dodgy. I hate bad acting as it just ruins the film and dosent really get you in to the film.

Vidur Bharatram: I really don't like watching films that don't have a good cast even if they are good actors, but thats really my opinion.

Ahmed Mohammed: The things that put me off some films are due to the poor prduction of the trailers that they produce and if I don't understand what is going on and the storyline isn't coherent enough then I don't bother to watch the film. I also dislike unknown casts. 

Gregor Sharp: I'm a very relaxed person and like to be adventures. I watch any genre film really, but what really puts me off a film is when the trailer looks amazing, but then when you watch the actual film it's not as good as it seems in the trailer a good example is 'Clash Of The Titan'. Also I really dislike low budget films as some of them look bad or seem to be as not much time has been put in to it. Another factor are film series, for example I enjoyed 'Pirates Of The Caribbean' but making two films was a bit too much as I thought they weren't as good as the first part.

With these comments my group will try and make our film as high quality as possible. We know what people want or desire in a film so this gives us a ideas to build on, which is always a good way to start. So we will discuss what the group as a whole wants to do and create a stroyline and a story board.

Posted by Sultan Mackinnon
Candidate Number 3641

 

No comments:

Post a Comment